9.8.10

Why I dont like modular origami



















What you see in the picture is my room's desk, a tiny region of the cosmos where science and art collide; some days you can see my latest drawing or origami being taken to this world, other days you may be able to see some Firmicutes being organized in a state of the art phylogenetic tree, but recently the most persistent object in my desk is a completely folded (but unassembled) Issei Yoshino's "skeleton of tyrannosaurus rex". Those twenty two clip-joined folded paper squares have been staring at me for a month or two, the final step of this brilliant origami is just impossible, not because it is difficult, but because when I try to join them I feel like I am making a handcraft for my mother's birthday.

I have always believed that the most amazing thing about origami is the fact that you can create anything from a peace of paper, more specifically, an uncut square. The intellectual, artistic and technical challenge of transforming this simple object into whatever the folder wants is the funniest puzzle I have met in my life; the limitations are your imagination and the paper's qualities. If you want to create a model with different sections, you do not need many peaces of paper to make each one of them, all you need is to look at Brian Chan's "Kraken Attack".

1 comment:

  1. very good pic, and interesting speech, keep working in your origami work, it´s amazaing...<{:o)&

    ReplyDelete